High Ping and Poor Team play

8 years 6 months ago #1 by Blackakres78
High Ping and Poor Team play was created by Blackakres78
I don't want to be rude but there is a player who I won't name just yet who always has a ping of 230 or so and plays worthlessly.
Impossible to communicate with him because he is from China. Servers lag with him in there and if you ever want to make an attack plan or sneak around he's the first one to just start blasting away and ruin all the fun. I can't tell you how many times I've started a game with some of my buddies and we are doing great, undetected and popping off the enemy with our silenced guns and then this guy shows up and the fun is done. Then he leaves the server within a few minutes if he keeps getting killed by the enemy. He really doesn't understand how long it takes to play a map like Art of Sand with silenced weapons only to have everything go wrong because he's a blaster.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #2 by Nikita
Replied by Nikita on topic High Ping and Poor Team play

Okay Blackakres, let's be clear, you're talking about akj. Speaking about that, let's say also immediately that it's useless to not wanting to give the name of a player you complain about. When you have something to say about a player, whoever he his, be clear from the beginning to the end and give his name, we’re big boys here and =RpR= admins don't manage complaints against person unknown.

Also, when you have to report problems on our servers, you have to bring proofs, as screenshots or video records. There are enough available software tools for that on the web, so, in the future, untangle yourself to get them and to add some proofs to your reports.

That said, your report consists in three major points : akj's ping, akj's communication and akj's behaviour in game. Let's see that.

1) About ping

It's true that we have a rule here at =RpR= : Pings are allowed up to 200. Well, frankly, i personally consider it circumspectly. We have other players here who are in a same situation, due to their location. If i take the example of =RpR= member "superslacker" ( lol BK ;) ) -B-K-, who is into the circuit since a long, long time and who is a well known and, rightly, a very respected and trusted player, he also has such a high ping. Quite honestly, i don't remember having noticed problems of server lag when i played with him. I myself have, these times, a monstruous ping of 300 and more, sometimes even 400, since i use wifi because my internet box is, temporarily, out of order and i didn't have any feedback from other players about a lag that i could bring on server for this reason. That said, i'm not a fine technician enough to tell if the presence of a high ping player brings, or not, lag on a server. I guess our webmaster, betteryouthanme, should be the right person who can confirm or overturn this. I therefore relie, on this technical point, in the judgment of the competent persons, but i personally consider, here and now, that this point doesn't establish, intrinsically, a sufficient reason to sanction a player.

2) About communication

We know that akj doesn’t speak any English, he already reported it. Honestly, i consider this point as a problem. Players who know me well, they know that communication is for me an essential point in game. I talk here about real communication, not just spamming ongame orders as “follow me”, “wait for my shot”, “advance” and other anarchistic bullshit which, too often, we can see here and there on coop servers.
Akj registered at =RpR= since almost three years now and i consider that, since this time, he could have made an effort to learn and practice English a bit, moreover for playing on coop servers, where communication is essential for such a gamestyle (maybe it’s not so much important when playing DM). I have already expressed my opinion about that on our forums. Our rule here, “spoken langage is English”, is for me an important rule and, after all, we don’t ask to players to be able to translate Macbeth by Shakespeare. So i consider that, on this point, your complaint is acceptable.

3) About behaviour in game

I must say that i agree enough with you. We have a rule here, “always play as a team, no lone wolfs desired”. I have already noticed several times in the past such a behaviour by akj, joining an already started map, saying “hi” or “hello” and immediately starting to play as a lonewolf. Doing so, he often ruins all the plan and all the patient progress of other players. I also noticed his tendency to quit the server once being killed two or three times by the enemy, leaving the damage done. I say it again, this kind of behaviour is not acceptable for me, coming from akj or from whoever else so, on this third point, i also consider that your complaint looks justified to me.

In conclusion, i consider that such an incident looks to me as a sufficient reason to give a yellow card to akj, in order that he realizes that he has to change something in his way of playing. I don’t talk about a ban, ban is not justified yet, but a clear explanation for he understands that, when he’s not playing alone, he has to consider the presence of the other players and the consequences of his actions.

:mm1:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, NL

8 years 6 months ago #3 by NL
Replied by NL on topic High Ping and Poor Team play
I have a hard time making an opinion about all of this.

-First of all it is true akj always plays as a lone wolf, I have seen him do it for a long time.

-His ping never really caused problems for me, I think it only influences performance if the server gets really full of players which is usually not the case.

-I also agree he should have made an effort to learn some basic English by now. The problem is that if we start banning or warning for lone wolf play style we can ban 70% of the players. As an example Monkey D. Dragon who almost always plays as a marauding lone wolf too. His idea of teamwork is that he advances and you give him covering fire, but there are many more. A weak understanding of English is also a reason for many players. Of course it is a rule but you can't force players to speak English, you can only force them to not have long discussions in their own language on the servers. The "no lone wolfs desired" rule is in my opinion more about communicating how we would like players to behave but hard to enforce. With TLC sessions this is of course different.

-I understand how frustrating it is when you try to do a silent mission and a player with a loud weapon joins but it is a consequence of public servers. There is no rule about weapon choice, you can only hope the new player is friendly enough to adjust to the majority on the server.

-The best solution would be to play on a private server but I understand how that can make things difficult.

-We can try to explain to akj what kind of behavior we consider desirable but there is still the language barrier and I know of no other player who is capable of translating. I have little confidence in Google translator

Trust is hard to gain but easy to lose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikita

8 years 6 months ago #4 by Nikita

NL wrote: I have little confidence in Google translator

A trick i often use with an automatic translator is to make a double translation, by example English > French, then copy/paste the result for a reverse translation French > English for control, even better by using another translator ( you know i prefer Reverso ;) )

8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #5 by Nikita

Also, the problem is that, if akj continue this way, arguing "i don't understand English" for not considering reports about him, one day he will make something really wrong and, that day, it will be difficult to not ban him or to find him excuses. And akj was already banned once, so in my opinion he should consider a bit all what we say about him in this forum or another. This topic is a warning for him, he should read it and understand it.

8 years 6 months ago #6 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic High Ping and Poor Team play
The main problem with public servers is that you can never play as a team. That's why
we organize TLCs and other private events. There almost everyone knows everyone and
if someone moves across the red line we tell him to come back.

I used to play lone wolf on private servers when I don't know any of the players. If others
decide to move on one part of the map, I just go the other way and avoid clashes with
team mates. Of course, this happens when the rest of the group is not organized in any
way and it's a rush only play.

"Straight and narrow is the path."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikita

• Lukasz birthday is in 4 days (41)