× Before posting here please make sure you have read our FAQ and if suitable our 'Play Online' and 'Create Server' tutorials

Please try to avoid general topic titles as: "Need help", "Problem occurred", etc.

do we have a buggy server?

8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #7 by NL
Replied by NL on topic do we have a buggy server?
I wasn't really talking about server lag or crashes but about the client crashing while the server keeps running.
Also, the client CTD also happens when I am literally the only player on all our servers, or at moments when I am pretty sure nobody is trying that "Jirasek" bug. So it seems to me the CTD's are not about high CPU or server load but like you said more a connection problem. The problem is most likely not on the players' side because it happens to all players at once suggesting it is the server connection to the internet.
Which why I was asking about time-out settings. Also I don't understand how a connection problem would lead to 90% CPU load?

Could it be related to servermanager activity? Maybe an admin logged into it not making making adjustments with restarting but maybe just browsing? Could it be wise to keep some sort of log about when we do stuff on servers and/or experience problems?

Also wasn't the server crashing because of high traffic when mostly the forum was busy? As I understood the forum and game servers are now on separate servers. (and before that we got more resources on the server).

As an experiment maybe with a next TLC we should shut down ALL servers and see what happens.

Trust is hard to gain but easy to lose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #8 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic do we have a buggy server?
Yes, we can shut down server on Sunday evening to see what happens.
Usually when the client gets disconnected it is a client related problem. Now,
there must be something with the remote connection since the cpu always seems
fine.

90% cpu over connection bug was just a suggestion.

We can ask Steff to contact the resource admins to have a look.

"Straight and narrow is the path."

8 years 2 weeks ago #9 by NL

Usually when the client gets disconnected it is a client related problem.

Keep in mind I am NOT talking about getting disconnected, I am talking about the client crashing to desktop (fatal error in the game application - some function gets called or whatever it can't comply to), it's not the same.
If all connected clients crash at the same time it must be a problem in the map files that get addressed by the server (or script command, or whatever) or an "instruction" from the server the clients can't handle.

So this would mean the same problem should occur when playing on your local LAN, assuming the scripts are 100% the same on client side as server side.
If it does not occur on LAN side (I never experienced a LAN crash) it must have to do with the interaction between client and server. If all clients at the same time CTD it can only be something going wrong on the server side. I mean, what are the odds several clients have a connection problem and/or file problem at exactly the same time?

8 years 2 weeks ago #10 by snowman
It's the same as when some maps crash the game and others don't
Always with the modded maps, not unmodded Sabre maps. Zdenda said
it's something wrong on the server. I remember him fixing them once,
but we still have problems.

8 years 2 weeks ago #11 by NL
Do we have contact info on Zdenda, any way we could ask him (and document it)?

8 years 2 weeks ago #12 by snowman
His email. I hope it turns out there's a connection problem and can be fixed soon.

• Lukasz birthday is today (41)
  • spartacus birthday is in 7 days (63)
  • Kahuna birthday is in 8 days (39)