× Before posting here please make sure you have read our FAQ and if suitable our 'Play Online' and 'Create Server' tutorials

Please try to avoid general topic titles as: "Need help", "Problem occurred", etc.

HD2 on Windows 10 - will not run

8 years 8 months ago #1 by paul
HD2 on Windows 10 - will not run was created by paul
I have been running HD2 on my office and home LANs over the past 10 years using a combo of XP, 7 and 8.1 PCs, but my new Windows 10 Home 64-bit upgrade will not run the game. I did a fresh install using original disks, setup program runs fine, I see the DVD is referenced, then error message "HD2.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working." The symptom is identical to running game with 1.12 N0-CD file. Same hardware ran the game with no problems using Windows 8.1.
I did try the Windows compatibility routine prior and after the fresh install, as well as executing the program using "Run as Administrator".
DXDiag indicates DirectX ver 12 is running. I unchecked Check for WHQL digital signatures.
Note: My only other games: Half-Life 2 and Portal are running fine and without re-installation.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance in finding a solution,
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 8 months ago #2 by jacobston
Replied by jacobston on topic HD2 on Windows 10 - will not run
Hey, paul. It seems that there are a lot of issues with Win10 going around. It is getting late at night here, so I'm going to do some searching for solutions and make a post in the morning.

In the meantime, someone else may also have a solution you can try.

For the Admins: Maybe we should create a Windows 10 megathread? It seems that there are a lot of issues with windows 10, and it would be easier to find help all in one place :undecided:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman

8 years 8 months ago #3 by paul
Replied by paul on topic HD2 on Windows 10 - will not run
RESOLVED - Thanks to your comments jacobston regarding video settings and akj confirming Win 10 compatibility.
setup.exe - Run as Administrator
Fullscreen antialiasing [OFF], *fatal error occurs when using 2x or 4x values.
I have all other video parameters set to max.
HD2.exe - Run as Administrator
I created this thread prior to noticing a similar one was already made, sorry.

Thank jacobston!
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, jacobston

8 years 8 months ago #4 by jacobston
Replied by jacobston on topic HD2 on Windows 10 - will not run
Awesome, glad to hear you got it working! And thanks for the info on how you got it to run, that will be very helpful in the future :gj:

8 years 8 months ago #5 by NL
Replied by NL on topic HD2 on Windows 10 - will not run
Okay, so HD2 will not run with antialiasing and vertical synchronization. I wonder what is causing this?
Does it have to do with Directx12 maybe?
Anyway: if you have a NIVIDIA videocard and go to its control panel and Manage 3D settings you can override game setting and make video enhancements there. Is this maybe causing the conflict or if not, can it be used to enhance HD2?

Trust is hard to gain but easy to lose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jacobston, paul

8 years 8 months ago #6 by Nikita
Replied by Nikita on topic HD2 on Windows 10 - will not run
I was thinking about that, some video cards do manage hardware antialiasing, maybe it will work better. :mm1:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jacobston, paul

• Lukasz birthday is in 2 days (41)
  • spartacus birthday is in 9 days (63)
  • Kahuna birthday is in 10 days (39)