× Before posting here please make sure you have read our FAQ and if suitable our 'Play Online' and 'Create Server' tutorials

Please try to avoid general topic titles as: "Need help", "Problem occurred", etc.

CD Key Already in Use - Fix!

2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #1 by Soukyan
CD Key Already in Use - Fix! was created by Soukyan
I've created simple script to prevent Steam etc. from overwriting your CD-Key. It also appends random five character sequence at the end. Enjoy 

You can check source code here .

Download the CD-Key replace program here:

File Attachment:

PS

I had to pack PowerShell script inside an archive in order to attach it here.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #2 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic CD Key Already in Use - Fix!
I guess Linux could use this fix with Wine?... no idea... yet

Thanks a lot!

"Straight and narrow is the path."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soukyan

2 years 4 months ago #3 by Stern
Replied by Stern on topic CD Key Already in Use - Fix!
What is different in this Steam version ?
It still must be same old game with some extend.

Some time ago I downloaded GOG version to see what is the differents and if all GOG crap is deleted then its the same old game again...
So my guess is that Steam version is also possible to launch game as HD2 (without Steam)...then no additional script needed to keep it going.
Or is there any need to start it as Steam version ?

The one who hesitates is lost !
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman

2 years 4 months ago #4 by snowman
Replied by snowman on topic CD Key Already in Use - Fix!
I haven't used either Steam or GOG. From Steam, because people launch the game with Steam, it changes to its default cd-key 1111-2222-3333-4444(example). So with this, people can change the key.

I think BetterYouThanMe already posted a regedit fix. I need to find it, if I don't forget again. I also need to update the #faq channel on Discord with all these details. If we don't make everything fool proof for all situations, people will continue to have problems. Not everyone is stimulated to find a fix. People on DanJ's Youtube account asking how to play the game online, because they can't see any servers anymore

"Straight and narrow is the path."

2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #5 by Soukyan
Replied by Soukyan on topic CD Key Already in Use - Fix!

snowman post=27059 userid=102
I guess Linux could use this fix with Wine?... no idea... yet

Thanks a lot!

I also have no idea as I haven't used Wine on Linux. Guessing from Wine Documentation, it'd need a rewrite to Batch script.

Stern post=27060 userid=347
What is different in this Steam version ?
It still must be same old game with some extend.

Some time ago I downloaded GOG version to see what is the differents and if all GOG crap is deleted then its the same old game again...
So my guess is that Steam version is also possible to launch game as HD2 (without Steam)...then no additional script needed to keep it going.
Or is there any need to start it as Steam version ?

That script I wrote only needs to be executed once (unless you want to change cd-key again).
As "what's wrong with Steam" - when you launch the game from Steam level (url assoc, client etc.), it'll override your key.

snowman post=27061 userid=102
I haven't used either Steam or GOG. From Steam, because people launch the game with Steam, it changes to its default cd-key 1111-2222-3333-4444(example). So with this, people can change the key.

I think BetterYouThanMe already posted a regedit fix. I need to find it, if I don't forget again. I also need to update the #faq channel on Discord with all these details. If we don't make everything fool proof for all situations, people will continue to have problems. Not everyone is stimulated to find a fix. People on DanJ's Youtube account asking how to play the game online, because they can't see any servers anymore

To prevent Steam from overwriting the CD-key, I needed to block write permission for Administrators account on proper registry key. So while it's possible from Registry Editor, it's not as simple as just running a script.

• 43 birthday is today (57)