× Before posting here please make sure you have read our FAQ and if suitable our 'Play Online' and 'Create Server' tutorials

Please try to avoid general topic titles as: "Need help", "Problem occurred", etc.

HD2 - Steam version CD key problem - possible fix!

6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #7 by Ultimate Force
Replied by Ultimate Force on topic HD2 - Steam version CD key problem - possible fix!
Ohhh this actually works? I been trying to work on a fix myself hehehe

I'll give this a go!!!

Thank you :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #8 by Ultimate Force
Replied by Ultimate Force on topic HD2 - Steam version CD key problem - possible fix!

Ohhh this actually works? I been trying to work on a fix myself hehehe

I'll give this a go!!!

Thank you :)

And yeah the key is 1234-5678-9abc-dddf by default for all steam users and I believe GOG version too, so lazy of them to add same cd keys xD

6 years 3 months ago #9 by betteryouthanme
Replied by betteryouthanme on topic HD2 - Steam version CD key problem - possible fix!
when does Steam "correct" the key? Each time you start the game exe or even if you start Steam itself? In both case that's kind of stupid..
However if you purchased HD2 before, Steam should have an option to change the cd key to your original one.

Someone tried to contact them yet?

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe - the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. Immanuel Kant
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman

6 years 3 months ago #10 by betteryouthanme
Replied by betteryouthanme on topic HD2 - Steam version CD key problem - possible fix!
so let's summarize

people who run their retail version have no problem, only unfortunately somebody else is using the same key.

people who run gog version have also no problem, if you install gog after installing retail version it does not change your registry key.
Only on clean installation of HD2 gog uses the key 1234-5678-9abc-dddf (not verified yet)
But you can simply change it to your original one or use a key generator.

Steam is a problem because every time you start HD2 via steam, it resets your registry key to 1234-5678-9abc-dddf.
Maybe you can change the key while HD2 is running. Need to be tested..

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe - the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. Immanuel Kant
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, NL

6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #11 by NL
The problem seems deeper than what you summarize.

For some reason a player with a retail version may get the "cd key in use" message when there are players with the steam or GOG version online.
Yesterday I tried to join Justice where only players involved in the shoutbox discussion were playing and, I assume, none of them was using my retail key.

Online were, I think:

-betteryouthanme
-Sasha
-Shayox
-LMT Junkozane
-Ultimate Force

My key starts with: 0f40-572f can you guys maybe check?

Trust is hard to gain but easy to lose.

6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #12 by NL
This is really a problem for me. I just tried to join 3 =RpR= servers and I could not join any of them because of "cd key already in use". It's ridiculous.

So how do we want to deal with this? I happen to be an admin so I am inclined to kick a player if I want to play myself.
My reasoning is this:

1. I have a legal license key that was for the COMPLETE game, I bought the FULL game, not just single player Campaign.
2. The GOG and STEAM version were never sold as an online game, so they all use the same key. Their bad luck if they can't play online, not mine.
3. =RpR= members should come first as we actually run and admin the servers
4. GOG and STEAM players are free to download a pirated version and use a key generator, they paid for the game so it could be considered legal.

What do you think? Okay to kick players? (which means ban a player to disconnect him, and unban immediately after - I can't join server so can't talk or kick the player with server commands)

Trust is hard to gain but easy to lose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ShayoX

• Lukasz birthday is in 10 days (41)