H&D1 map conversion

3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #7 by p.jakub88
Replied by p.jakub88 on topic H&D1 map conversion

culticaxe wrote: I haven't had any problems so far with the material names. Everything was preserved for now.

If you like, sure!

Maybe you can convert "Italy2"? With the original textures too? If you need any help with them, or with the scale settings just ask me, or contact me in steam.

Profile: culticaxe

Using Max 4ds Tools v0.7.2 by pudingus i managed to export the Italy 2 mission from H&D Deluxe as a .4ds file with 3ds Max 2010 32-bit version.

I attached it below, together with Italy 2 mission in .max and .obj format just in case. I assumed, that you have the H&D Deluxe installed on your hard drive, so i didn't attach any original Italy 2 textures. The textures library should be stored in the .mtl file - which i also attached.

I had some problems with exporting the Italy 2 mission into .4ds format - getting some error window while i tried to do this directly from a .max file imported from 3ds Max 3.1. I managed to do so from .obj format, but check for yourself if the map could be actually used in H&D 2. I never did anything like that before. As i wrote earlier, i only did the opposite thing (import H&D 2 map to H&D Deluxe).

I might need to use newer 3ds max version for this (like 3ds max 2013 or 2017 64-bit), but they are not available at the moment.

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

"Who Dares Wins" - SAS motto.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, culticaxe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #8 by p.jakub88

culticaxe wrote: I'm using 3D Studio Max R3.1 on a virtual machine with Windows XP to convert the .i3d files to .3DS,

then .3DS -> .FBX with a newer version of max,

and .FBX to .4DS because the newer version of Blender doesn't support 3DS at the moment it seems...

It's quite a rough way to do it but it's worth it :D

I tried the method described by you above, but i failed. An error message popped up when i tried to export the Italy 2 map from .FBX to .4DS format.

Not to mention, that i wasn't able to open the exported .4ds file in 3ds max...

Maybe 3ds Max 2010 version is simply too old for all this conversions? What do you mean by "with a newer version of max"?

From newer versions I have only 3ds max 2013 and 2017 at my disposal, but not at the moment.

I don't have Blender - could you tell me please which version you use currently?

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, culticaxe

3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #9 by culticaxe
Replied by culticaxe on topic H&D1 map conversion
I don't use 3ds max to export it to .4DS but rather the plugins for Blender.

So... I export the .I3D file in 3DS Max R3.1 (old version) to .3DS,

I open up the newer version I have, 3ds Max 2018, and export the .3DS file to .FBX

Then I open it up in Blender to export it to .4DS

Currently I use Blender version 2.82.7, but I'm not sure if the 4ds plugin works with the newest version 2.9, I didn't try yet.

Thank you for converting the Italy2 map, I will have a look at it as soon as I finish "Italy1", I have placed all scene objects, but I need to fix the ladders and place the enemies with their scripts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, p.jakub88

3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #10 by culticaxe
Replied by culticaxe on topic H&D1 map conversion
Progress.. ;)

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowman, WANGER, p.jakub88

3 years 3 months ago #11 by NilsZ
Replied by NilsZ on topic H&D1 map conversion
Btw. culticaxe, who let you out of azkaban? :D
I feel a new german life map is coming
The following user(s) said Thank You: culticaxe

3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #12 by p.jakub88
Hello culticaxe!

I tested today your Italy1 map on H&D1 Map Test server.

I killed 9 enemies in total, while being killed myself 4 times (!). I played alone as a sniper.

I successfully completed this map by reaching the assemble location.

My feedback:

1) It is great, that you managed to import a classic H&D 1 map into H&D 2 multiplayer. I played this mission countless times in both classic H&D 1 and later in H&D Deluxe. It would be cool if we have more H&D 1 maps in H&D 2. I would surely play them.

2) Nice that you brought original Italy 1 mission environment sounds too. However, i suggest to remove the "incoming train sound", since there is no train that will ever cross the iron bridge (there is one actually in the Italy 1 mission in H&D 1 though).

3) This map is really hard, a lot harder than the original Italy 1 mission. I think, that you decreased the original view distance, but i am not 100% sure.

4) Does the vegetation stop the bullets like in the original H&D 1 mission? I didn't check that.

All in all you did a great job.

The following user(s) said Thank You: culticaxe

• 43 birthday is in 2 days (57)